
Today is the first day of October! I woke up and genuinely felt the same way as if it were my birthday, sheer excitement! October is magical-- the brisk air becomes more apparent, the leaves turn a beautiful array of golden tones, hot drinks taste that much more amazing, corn mazes, pumpkins and of course you have all month to look forward to Halloween! I'm thinking of having a party at my house that night. What are your plans?
There are small moments when I'm on the bike where I think just by glancing over at something for a second, I have an immortal image burned on my brain the rest of the day. I rode home from school yesterday going down the sidewalk on Huntoon, facing the speeding cars going down the opposite direction. I felt like I was totally protected just by a small curb and a sidewalk, even though I felt a bit like a fish swimming upstream. It's a bit intimidating facing a hundred bumpers all coming at you. I glanced over once to my right when I heard the sound of little boys shouting, and captured an immortal moment in my brain: A pair of boys were sword fighting using large sticks, slapping the wood together to make a curiously loud contact sound. I felt like they should be wearing tiny prince crowns. Fencing is timeless! It reminded me of this magical Glosoli video. I think when I have kids someday I will not own a television for a while simply so that they can nurture their imaginations a bit.
Another small moment was as I was racing down another street, my slightly puffy sleeve caught the wind, and I glanced over and saw it billowing. I couldn't help but smile like a crazy person, smiling at their own sleeve! Later when Emily and I were flying down Indian Hills, I looked over and saw a large patch of corn blazing with the light of the sun. I couldn't take my eyes off of that beautiful sight!
Thursday, October 1, 2009
Enchantments
Posted by lanes at 8:16 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I have those moments too, where time seems to slow its usually hushed pace and you are able to savor a peculiar or beautiful image and really inhale the life out of it. Then time gets back into its speedwalk pace and you have the memory to think back on, or blog about.
Post a Comment