Thursday, October 15, 2009

The manila mystery


Do you ever use manila envelopes?

I rarely do. I didn't even know where to find them at the store, but I fortunately found one at my dad's desk that I used to turn in all of my Peru stuff to the International House. I didn't even know that place existed actually until I found out that's where I had to turn in my application. Crazy! The things you learn after going to the same school for five years.

Anyhow... I scrambled around all morning trying to get everything together at the last minute-- medical release form, copy of passport, copy of transcript, reference letters (I even got a very nice one from Janzen!), WTE Declaration. I was walking out of Morgan for seriously about the fourth time this morning, happy I was finally done and proudly carrying everything in my huge manila envelope. On my way out, I walked by a guy who was also carrying a manila envelope! I felt like there was an immediate connection or that we could be manila friends, because who buys those? Who needs them on a daily basis? Who are those people? Lots of businesses use them all the time, but for me, they are used very rarely. They are quite handy.

My Peru application is in, and done, which means I got to cross off a whole bunch of things on my to-do list. Everything else will eventually get done! It will all be fine.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I am quite fond of the International House. :)

Tricia said...

My teacher is pretty cool. She provided us with the manilla envelopes, and made us get everything to her by October 1st, so that there would be no last-minute scurrying :) Otherwise, you know I would have been!
And you're right. It is rare to use them, and they always seem very business-like. And why "manila"?

Anonymous said...

Manila derives its name from the product from which it is made: Manila hemp