Thursday, October 22, 2009

Houses in Trees

When I was eight, I asked my dad to build me a tree house. I went to the library, looking for books that would give me the best ideas for a design of my very own. I always thought they were such magical sources of wonder and mystery. I think having a tree house growing up definitely helped me develop a better sense of imagination, imagining other magical fantasy worlds. I only had to climb up the rope ladder and suddenly I had a place in the air, sitting on my platform that separated me from the tops of little bushes and trees. Here are some other ones I LOVE, the last of which is a well-known building project in New Zealand:






2 comments:

Tricia said...

The one 4th from the top and bottom is absolutely adorable. Hobbit-like. The kids in Mrs. Cloud's class are really into this series called "The Magic Tree House."
Also, I just stumbled across a Shel Silverstein poem about tree houses (I'm using Where the Sidewalk Ends with my Case Study student, we're working on reading more fluently and poetry is a good way to develop that skill). Want me to share? Okay ;)

Tree House

A tree house, a free house,
A secret you and me house,
A high up in the leafy branches
Cozy as can be house

A street house, a neat house,
Be sure and wipe your feet house
Is not my kind of house at all--
Let's go live in a tree house

lanes said...

That is excellent! I totally imagined you singing this in your sing-songy voice, too.