Psyched about my rare spot in the coveted circle parking lot, I marched triumphantly in the snow to my last class with Kellis. My usual seat against the wall was taken, so I chose one of the few available in the middle of the room. Ignoring claustrophobia wanting to arise within me, I looked around at everyone cramming at the last second. I scanned the sea of worried faces for that of Mercedes, but she and her shenanigans were nowhere to be found.
Kellis passed the tests out to everyone and I finished mine in a record twelve minutes. I hopped over slumped backpacks and coats in the aisle and placed my test face down in front of the Kellis. I smiled at him and whispered a simple "thanks"-- with more meaning placed behind a single word than ever before. With a signature Kellis move, he nodded his head and blinked a string of rapid eye movements to show his acceptance of my gratitude. He knew.
I walked confidently out of the room, remembering everything Kellis had imparted to me-- how proud he should feel of his little grasshopper who changed her ways! Our journey has finally come to an end-- a more satisfying one-- and I can only think of these Wicked lyrics to summarize our time together: "Because I knew you, I have been changed... for good."
I heard a whirring noise behind me and before I could glance back, E.K. whizzed past me on his bicycle-- the flaps of his hat whipping the air and providing him a faster means of escape. I could only stare at the back of his head diminishing smaller in the distance and silently applaud.
Tuesday, December 9, 2008
Farewell, Kellis-- fare thee well
Posted by lanes at 10:53 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
"With a signature Kellis move, he nodded his head and blinked a string of rapid eye movements to show his acceptance of my gratitude."
This line had me rolling!!!!! Spot on.
Elena, you're a hoot. Lets hang.
Well done, little lady! But I think you should have grabbed him and hugged him about the neck. ;)
Next week, since you'll be free, we much play Barbie.
I love how your life sounds like you need a narrarator. :)
Rachel, I should have touched his hair. I think maybe something's up with him, because he's only worn it down to its full glorious length just a few times this semester.
Tricia, I thought you might like that-- I knew you would be able to visualize it! hahaha
Reagan, what can I say? I just love telling stories. :)
Haha, as scared as that class has made me to drink Mountain Dew, I still miss it and Kellis. Good times.
Some lyrics that I believe sum the Kellis up:
And he dreams at night of Woodstock
And the day John Lennon died
How the music made him happy
And the silence made him cry
Yeah, he thinks of John sometimes
And he has to wonder why.
Chorus:
'Cause he's an old hippie
And he don't know what to do
Should he hang on to the old
Should he grab on to the new.
He's and old hippie
This new life is just a bust
He ain't trying to change nobody
He's just trying real hard to adjust.
Alas, Kellis... we hardly knew ye.
Post a Comment