
There are tentative plans for USD 501 to buy the campus grounds of the Topeka State Hospital and if this plan turns into a reality, then a third of the campus buildings will be destroyed-- including the iconic center building. They claim that this building is too unsound for anyone to go in and instead of paying maintenance fees, they are just going to destroy this Topeka treasure.
I heard on the news that the Topeka Historical Preservation Society is trying to prevent this from happening, so perhaps there is some hope. Here is the link to the full article in the paper: http://cjonline.com/stories/100608/bre_landbuy.shtml
I am torn by two opposing emotions-- the first is just utter heartbreak. I discovered this beautiful building years ago when I was first learning to drive with my mom. It later became an obsession as I sought to find a way into this abandoned building-- something that actually became a reality three years ago with a friend of mine. But that is another story itself-- I could write a whole post about that amazing experience.
The other emotion I feel is just sheer outrage at the Man and I want to shout a line from one of my favorite movies directed at the powers that be: "Damn the Man, Save the Empire!!" This being a reference to Empire Records in saving a small record store to defy the corporate "Man." I want to protest and prostrate myself in front of potential bulldozers and scream, "NOT THIS, TOO! DESTROY THIS AND YOU WILL DESTROY ME!"
At least we got to have a little post-wedding celebration at this wonderful spot when Spiro was here...
Tuesday, October 7, 2008
What Breaks my Heart
Posted by lanes at 9:20 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
so sad that they might tear it down! that place was rad.
i remember you also took a picture of me and mel... could you send that to me too? jamiespiro@gmail.com
Note how sultry Mel looks in every picture?! Good grief =)
You should call the Preservation society, and see how we can help. Save the empire!!!
I know, I think it will be a true tragedy should this come down. :(
I looked through my photos and I don't have one of you and Mel actually. I do have one of the two of you dancing, but I think that's on facebook.
Tricia, Hahaha yeah, there's one of you and Mel and you're just smiling away why Mel seduces the camera... oh wait, that would be me... hmmmm, probably.
yeh i think that would take away a piece of you if they destroyed that. you love that place.
you girl are sure enjoying those smokes in front of it though! lol. good times.
NO! They can't do that! I say you picket.....picket around building with a group of people. They will hear your cry!!!
I am so happy you posted these pictures. I LOVE them!
My face looks craaazy in these pictures. Sultry, I think not...exhausted I think so.:) what fun that was. I was just telling Rach about all that the other day and how the popo found us! (or, er, we found him? at a dead end doing nothing?)
i miss topeka.
:)
Post a Comment