
Blogging twice in one day?! What?! Oh, yes. My human condition is improving... or something like that.
A townie: "someone who has not left the town in which they were born and raised."
-Reliable Wikipedia source
I also looked up "townie" on dictionary.com and got a little different answer: "A permanent resident of a town, especially a resident of a college town who is academically unaffiliated with the local college or university."
I think I agree more with the Wikipedia definition, but probably just so that I can call myself a townie. Because when I think of being a townie, I think of a college student with no job, no source of income, living at their parents' house-- particularly living in the basement. And really, is there anything more pathetic than that state of existence? Probably not. And I'm hoping that years later I will look back on this time in my life and laugh or I'd probably just get depressed.
But like for reals, after Washburn I have got to get out of this town. I've been here way too long. Now, to my faithful and few readers, I absolutely love you all, but you know, there comes a time when you just have to leave a place. But more on that in another post...
Continuing with the townie theme, allow me to tell you about my day today:
1. Wake up at 10:15, kicking myself because I wanted to get up two hours earlier than the time stated. But I guess that happens when you finally fall asleep around 3:30, after tossing and turning. *Extra note: Since moving back home, I also have gotten the worst sleep. It's not unusual now for me to wake up several times during the night.*
2. Stumble upstairs to make myself a little breakfast: piece of toast with homemade strawberry jame from Jayne and Betty, bowl of Crunchy Raisin Bran cereal, some grapes, and a delicious hot cup of coffee.
3. Put dishes in dishwasher. I am SO helpful!
4. Spend some time on the phone with the financial aid office. Find out that because of my loss of scholarship sophomore year, I was a tenth of a point short of receiving the Academic Scholarship for this school year after working my butt off getting my grades up last year. Make an appointment to sign work study contract for next week.
5. Watch a couple of shows online on my laptop.
6. Decide that I need to go swimming. Drive to Shawnee North to find out that they are closed. Drive to Blaisdell to find out they are closed as well.
7. And now here I sit. What a busy day, huh? ;)
Now, I write all of this in a slightly satirical form, mostly to make fun of myself. Yes, I am a little disappointed about the scholarship thing, but I'll get over it. There's always next year. Oh yeah, I'm thinking that I'll be spending next fall abroad in Italy. I'm going to start looking into that more seriously.
Wednesday, August 13, 2008
My life as a townie
Posted by lanes at 2:35 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hmm. When I read this, I was just thinking that sometimes getting away is really good, and sometimes getting away doesn't really solve what you want it to.
Does moving away from Kansas mean that you will finally be happily independant? Or is it possible to have that while you're here?
Obviously independance won't happen until you make your own money, but that doesn't mean you have to leave.
I'm just saying.
Whatever God has for you will be perfect, so I hope you can rest in His plan (whatever that is).
Also, I'm absolutely crazy about my pal Lane Lane...come see me soon
P.S. I love the picture
I'm crazy about my pal, Rae Rae, too!!
And I understand what you're saying about leaving and independence don't necessarily mean the same thing. No, my reasons for wanting to leave Kansas are a little different. I merely want to live in a new place-- a place with a little more opportunities for me as an Art History major. I just think that I need to leave for a little while after college. See some new things, meet some new people. I think that after living in a place your whole life it can stunt growth. Not necessarily true for all people, I'm just saying for me, I think it would be nice to get away.
Post a Comment